The roofs of our homes exist to protect our families and our belongings, but sometimes issues arise that need to be addressed. Roofing problems are often the most neglected by homeowners, but these five common roofing issues shouldn’t be ignored.
- Worn or Improperly Installed Flashings. Flashings are meant to protect the roof from water damage. These components are installed around your roof’s edges, valleys, drains or around the chimney or skylights. Flashings are made of aluminum or galvanized steel, yet sometimes these parts will rust and deteriorate, causing leaks and water damage.
- Rotting or cracking Soffit. Situated underneath the overhanging part of your roof, the Soffit is mean to keep air circulating through vents and keep moisture away from your home’s roof. Unfortunately, these parts can crack or rot if not cared for properly. It’s best to replace rotting Soffits with vinyl because it’s more water-resistant.
- Damaged Fascia. The fascia is what makes the edge of your roof look good — it’s what most people call the “roof trim.” Fascia is either made of wooden boards or sheet metal and also functions to keep water out of the rest of the roof structure. Unlike the Soffit, the fascia is quite visible, so if you notice any damage, it’s important to call a roofing contractor.
- Broken or Clogged Gutters. Gutters serve the purpose of carrying away water from your home’s roof and foundation. During the fall season, your gutters may become clogged with leaves and other debris, causing blockages and water buildup on your roof, which eventually leads to roof rot and decay. Luckily, you can easily remove gutter blockages. However, if you notice your gutters have become detached from your home, it’s best to contact a professional.
- Curling or Discolored Shingles. Your roof’s shingles have a similar function to your skin: it serve as a barrier between the outside elements and the interior of your home. Unfortunately, discolored, curling, missing or broken shingles are common roofing issues that homeowners experience. At Bay State Exteriors, our roofing contractors will pay close attention to discolored shingles, as this is a clear sign of a roofing leak.
Before the winter weather really sets in, take the time to look around the exterior of your home for any of these common signs of a roofing problem. Contact our local Peabody roofing company today for professional, prompt service!